Friday, May 9, 2014

My Heroes: Nick Doan (and Gwen Dreyer)

My Heroes
Second Installment: Nick Doan (And Gwen Dreyer) I've decided to write a blog post every month about someone who inspires me.  A hero in one form or another.  As so much of my life is based around reading and writing, many of these heroes are bound to be writers, bloggers, creators, artists and musicians.  Though I'm sure I'll put other people in here, too. Gwen and I went to middle school and high school together.  She was the reason I stayed in Girl Scouts, even though we both thought it wasn’t “cool” anymore.  We danced and sang together in our high school’s version of show choir (Before Glee.  Before it was “cool.”) and acted together in several plays over the course of our friendship.  The two that stick out most in my mind are “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown” (she was the Snoopy to my Patty) and “Miracle on 34th Street” where we memorized “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” and recited it while the community center’s preschool ballet class acted out the scenes.  Gwen asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding in 2006, and I returned the favor in 2007.  She did my make-up for my big day, by the way, and made me look absolutely beautiful.  To say that Gwen and I share some wonderful memories is an incredible understatement. I also have to thank Gwen for introducing me to her husband, Nick.  Talk about an awesome guy.  The two of them make a fantastic and inspiring team.  Whenever we get to spend time with them together, it’s obvious who is the Yin and who’s the Yang.  (You’ll have to meet them and figure it out on your own!)  Nick is a very talented writer, and his creative spirit and follow-through, along with some very supportive people, I’m sure, led to the publication of his graphic novel “Monster Elementary,” which I absolutely adore.  I think I bought 11 copies to send to my family and friends. Whenever my family and friends do something that I want to do myself (for example, publish work or run a marathon or put on a play) I do my best to be as supportive as possible.  Sometimes it’s difficult.  Sometimes my heart just isn’t in it.  With Nick (and Gwen) I have never had that problem.  Buying Fat Rabbit Farm books has never been a challenge.  I’m quite honestly a fan of everything I’ve bought that he’s produced.  And I’ll continue to show that support however I can. You can find out more about Monster Elementary by going to http://www.monsterelementary.com. For more on Fat Rabbit Farm’s books, try this link:
http://fatrabbitfarm.com/books.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment